For Sale by Owner – Is Spring the Best Time to Sell Your House?Information for
If you are planning to place the “FSBO” sign in your front yard, then there are a few things you need to know that might affect the worth of your house. People often ask, “What is the best time to sell my house?”
You will hear several answers left and right starting from the perfect season to month and even week of the day. To be honest, your house’s sale depends on where you live and the facilities available nearby. However, this doesn’t mean that you can prep your house for sale in winter. The cold, slippery walkways and snow covered sidewalks don’t really make a good first impression.
According to Zillow, the best month to sell your house is May and the best day is Saturday. Zillow also reported that houses sold in May are bought faster and they are sold for $1,600 more compared to average listings.
So, you know the “whats” but what about the “whys”?
Why Sell Your House in Spring
As we mentioned earlier, no one is going to put on a coat and boots to tread through snow, just to tour a house. They will wait for the warm weather to lay out the welcome mat.
Following are a few reasons why listing your house in spring is beneficial:
- As winter slowly morphs into spring, the weather becomes quite soothing. The air is neither too cold nor too hot, which creates the perfect atmosphere. Staging your home is easier and you get more offers as people are no longer trying to hide from the cold
- With their pockets filled with tax refunds, their financials are in order, which gives them more power over their budget
- The transition is smooth for you, as well as for the buyer, because of the summer break. There’s less disruption in your kids’ routine and the move allows them to adjust easily in the new place during this vacation time
- You can add better curb appeal to the house, which is what attracts buyers
Problems You Will Face in Spring
You probably have an inkling about what hurdles you will face when selling your house in spring ― tough competition and picky buyers.
- With so many people looking for houses in this season, you will have to bring your A-game to sell your house. Meaning: fancier staging and more curb appeal. It’s all hands on deck people!
- Buyers will keep you on tenterhooks. Don’t expect them to come back soon because they are going to browse the market. While you will get multiple offers, remember that the buyers will also have multiple options
Often people assume that summer is the best time for selling a house. The reason this is not always true is because this season marks the start of vacations. They don’t want to waste their time looking for houses, packing and moving when they could be enjoying the warm sunshine and getting a tan on a beach.
As for fall, this season can be very beneficial to the seller, but there are many drawbacks as well. The end of fall invites bad weather and it’s that time when a new school year is about to begin. Moreover, fall is the season of layoffs and job transfers. With so much going on, only those people will buy a house who are facing family issues. It’s possible that the buyers who tour your house might agree to your asking price without any negotiations.
And that’s why listing your house in spring may be the best decision for you and your family. The one thing you need to worry about is the competition, which you can easily beat by lavishly staging your house and using flowers for curb appeal.